New Year 2017 is just round the corner. This is the time to reflect upon the past year and plan for the upcoming year. This is also the time to set goals for the new year and make a resolve to try our best to achieve them.
My goals for 2017
In summary, my goals for 2017 are:
1. Learn something new: One hour of Python coding everyday.
2. Read and write more: 10 pages to read, 100 words to write everyday.
3. Stay fit: brisk walk for 30 minutes everyday.
4. Be a morning person: get up at 5am.
1. Learn Something New
I am a strong believer of learning something new everyday. This also counts as one of my goals for 2017. This year I plan to dive deeper into Python and learn more about the language and how to use it for business automation and data analysis.
I plan to read Python books, watch videos and code at least 1 hour everyday. Some Python books that I have selected for reading are:
– Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners
– Fluent Python: Clear, Concise, and Effective Programming
– Python for Everybody: Exploring Data in Python 3
– Mastering Python
2. Write, and Read, More
I used to write 2,000 words in a good day with no problem. Then came Twitter and things are not the same since. The restriction of forming and presenting your thoughts in 140 characters has made me shy away from writing, especially the long form of content.
In 2017, I plan to write more, the lengthier the better.
As for reading, I plan to read at least 1 book every month, which comes to at least 8-10 pages per day.
Some books in my reading list are:
- Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by Heath by Chip & Dan Heath
- Global Search Engine Marketing: Fine-Tuning Your International Search Engine Results by Anne F. Kennedy and Kristjan Mar Hauksson
- The Utility of Force: The Art of War in the Modern World by Rupert Smith
- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg
3. Get Fit
Getting fit is another priority for 2017. I don’t intend to start training for a marathon or pumping up serious weights. I just need to be fit, as in healthy and active. This obviously includes developing the right mind set, check my diet, drink more water and exercise.
To stay fit in 2017, I plan to brisk walk for at least 30 minutes every day.
4. Be a morning person
My current work schedule has made me a night owl. The creative juices start to flow when it is dark outside and the “work day” ends when it is almost dawn. Although I am trying to rise early, but as the saying goes, I could be a morning person, if morning happened around noon.I could be a morning person, if morning happened around noon. Click To Tweet
So, the next goal for 2017 is to be a morning person. Early birds gets the worms, don’t they?
To be a morning person, I plan to get up as early as 5am.
So, this was my new year’s resolution. You may notice that I have not listed any professional or business goals. I don’t want to stress out myself by setting up goals like I will earn X amount of money or start Y number of projects in 2017. Also, I feel that achieving the personal goals will make me excel professionally and will also make a better person out of me 🙂
What are your goals and resolutions for the year 2017? Do share.